Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's More Than Just Mind/Body Connection.

It's been a while since I've blogged. Life has been, well...busy.
I've been craving a good writing session, unfortunately my brain has been feeling a little fuzzy and I haven't been able to think of things to write about. I don't like writing about something that I haven't been able to research. There's no point in sharing facts that are untrue, or contain only my bias opinion. However, tonight will because it's a more personal blog if you will. There is always a debatable side to everything, but I have to say my mind is made up on most things when it comes to health, fitness, taking care of our children, our planet, and ourselves. I believe that these are morals that are so deeply inset in a person and it's rare someone will change their opinion completely. One thing I have to say though is that lately I'm feeling a little stuck. I had this major growth-spurt in knowledge in the past 5 months regarding the elimination of toxic chemicals in the home and in our bodies, in preventative medicine and nutrition changes that eliminate inflammation in the body. It was amazing and well received and I dove in head first, but now I'm at a bit of a plateau. I have this crazy desire to learn something amazing and dig deeper, yet I'm not sure where to begin? One thing I would really like to do is re-connect with nature and I think it's going to involve some time outside. I'm not just talking about a little walk in the woods, I'm talking about some good ol' fashion time in the woods with my clothes, my food, and my necessities on my back.

I used to go hiking almost every summer with my dad and we'd bring along my friends and other family members. I feel very fortunate that I could spend my summers in the amazing Canadian Rockies; a place most people only dream of going. We'd have nothing but what we needed to survive and we'd walk to our destination every day and set up camp. The air was clean and fresh, the stars would clutter the sky and sparkle like diamonds, and there were luscious trees everywhere giving off so much oxygen that your lungs would always feel full and clean. Even on the stormiest night in the mountains you would sleep like the dead (I'd say baby, but mine still don't sleep), and you would never hear the sounds of the civilized world. As a kid, I always thought it was fun and I loved going for the adventure; but as I got older I started appreciating it for the fact that I got to go on trips that others couldn't, or weren't brave enough to do, and see glaciers that I knew wouldn't be there when it was time to take my kids, and to spend quality time with my dad learning his tricks for survival, and eating food that was better than any food I've ever tasted before.

Since moving away from beautiful British Columbia, I have to say it's one of the things I miss the most. I miss having the opportunity to go play in the mountains and take awesome trips with my dad and see sights that could bring you to your knees. As I've begun to make new friends here; I'm meeting more and more people who are a little more "granola" if you will. My bosses love the great outdoors and seeing amazing sights and connecting with the earth and a few of my friends are the same (some more extreme than others). This is what pushes me to change and pushes me to open my mind to a new way of thinking. When you have things like the "Rockies" at your fingertips, you almost take it for granted because it's always there; and eventhough it's changing, it's just a car ride away. Now that it's no longer at my finger-tips, I feel the need to preserve it and help keep it alive. I feel the need to take time to go home and do as many trips as possible with my dad to learn his amazing outdoor cooking skills (stew and cheesecake when you have a weight limit to your pack is amazing!) and all his tricks for survival. These are things I consider to be family heirlooms that need to be passed down from generation to generation. I believe that in our technology-ridden world, it will all crash one day and we will be forced to go back to the basic way of living. We will be forced to plant, hunt, and create our manners of taking care of ourselves. We will be forced back to natural resources, tracking, and community based living. I don't think this will happen while I'm alive, but it will happen eventually and I want to know that the things I learned from my dad and he learned from his dad and so on and so forth, will be passed to generations after me. This to me is much more important than family riches that are left behind. This is also why I feel it's very important to surround myself with friends who have this knowledge as well. I have friends back home who grow organically and shop only at the farmer's market on the weekend, and eat within season, and care for their children in a completely organic way. I have friends here who track and hunt their meat, who wear clothes that are made of organic cottons produced in Canada and do "community planting", which means they only plant what that particular eco-system can withstand to help support the other plants and animals surrounding it. Even though these people are spread across the map, I consider them to be my community. These are the people that push me into learning more, opening my mind to more, and doing more. None of which are overnight changes, but a constant work in progress.

I've always been very savvy of my body. I know when something's wrong, even if the numbers say otherwise on the blood tests, I can hear my body telling me what to do and what not to do. I know my limits and how far to push myself. I always trust my "gut-instinct" because this is the connection between mind and body that help us to make important decisions. This is our sub-conscious mind trying to connect with our conscious mind. Whether or not you are religious, this connection is our "devine power" trying to keep us safe and protect us from all kinds of physical, emotional, or environmental harm. I take pride in my ability to have this kind of "relationship" with my body. However, I feel a large piece is missing. I believe there should be a connection between mind, body and earth. I, however, don't know where to start to make it apart of my already thriving relationship. One suggestion that was made to me was attempting to establish a relationship between the different movements you use through your feet as you're moving through the earth. Apparently there's a large number of books on this and courses you can take. (Of course, the technical name has slipped my mind and it's too late to phone and find out what it's called.) There are hundreds of different movements used and for different scenarios. Some for walking on grass, on rocks, in snow, on sand, across a log, through the water, etc... These movements help create awareness within your body as to how you're connecting to the earth. This in turn, creates a relationship between mind, body and earth. This will be a large source of upcoming research for me, at which point I will share more.

I think though, to summarize, there are some major shifts trying to occur with me right now, and I feel like I'm really trying to connect with the absolute basics of life. The very root of where everything begins. This is shaping me into a deeper, more knowledgeable human being and I plan on using all of my resources to the best of my ability. The beauty of it all, is that it's a never-ending challenge and it's constantly adapting, (even if the core of the idea has never changed).

No comments:

Post a Comment